Monday, February 29, 2016

Pre-Disney Princess Half Marathon 2016 Trip Report

I am finally home! We did a Royal Caribbean cruise after the half and I'm so thankful to be back on dry land.  I do NOT think cruising is for me... although I could probably be convinced by the Castaway Cay Challenge to give it another shot. ;) Anywayyyyy... For my own enjoyment (and hopefully yours...) I wanted to do a little recap of our WDW trip! There is a lot to cover, so I'm going to split the pre-half marathon stuff up into this post and then do a separate post for the race itself.


We flew out of PHL into MCO and arrived just short of 1:30pm. We got right on a Magical Express bus to All Star Sports and I received a text message that our room was ready while we were on the bus, so we went straight to the room upon arrival. We dropped our stuff off, got everything situated, and headed out to the lobby to catch a bus to the expo. I had been so worried about the expo before the trip because of all the horror stories of crowds and shoving and greedy, awful people, so I wasn't sure what to expect. It was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. We picked up our bibs first and then headed into the merch area. I wasn't planning on getting the New Balance shoes at this point, so we went straight for the official merchandise. It was a little crowded in there and I didn't see any PHM-specific wine glasses or Tervis tumblers, which I would have liked to have. I did buy an "I did it!" shirt and a car magnet though, then we went and looked around at the rest of the stuff. We ended up being there from 3:30ish to just before 5pm.


We had dinner reservations at Kona Cafe for that night, so we took a bus straight to the Polynesian from the expo and got drinks out on the deck outside of Trader Sam's. After $50 and two drinks, we headed up for our dinner reservation. Seriously, who can resist those awesome souvenir glasses?? My husband got the zombie one and I had the HippopotoMai-Tai.  I originally wanted to get a Lapu Lapu (a whole ton of rum and fruit juice served in a hollowed out pineapple), but there was no way I could drink that too and still function as an adult. For dinner, we had some sushi: the California Luau roll and the Shrimp Tempura roll (INSANE!) and pot stickers. We were both pretty exhausted at this point and it was a little chilly out, so we decided to head back to the resort and get some sleep instead of watching the fireworks from the beach. We took the monorail over to Magic Kingdom and caught a bus from there, easy as pie. I feel like I NEED to stay at the Polynesian the next time we go, but I might have to sell a kidney to be able to afford it. #helpmeimpoor


We did Universal on Friday, which was fun since neither of us had seen the new Harry Potter expansion. Unfortunately, nothing other than the Wizarding World of Harry Potter appeals to us there, so it was kind of a short day. Some butterbeer was enjoyed while we walked around for a few hours and we visited Margaritaville for a margarita on our way out. We got an Uber from Universal to Disney Springs and did some shopping there in the evening before heading back to the resort.


Saturday was our planned Magic Kingdom day, but we ended up going back to the expo right when it opened because my sister-in-law texted me saying that if I went back to get her a pair of the Ariel New Balance sneakers, she would buy me a pair as my birthday/Christmas present this year! There were probably a dozen people ahead of us in line by the time we got there, but it went quickly and we were on our way to Magic Kingdom by 10am.


We did Be Our Guest for lunch and The Plaza for dinner and both were fantastic. I wanted to stay for Wishes, but decided around 7pm that I just wasn't going to make it and that I would thank myself in the morning for the extra sleep. And so we began the trek back to the All Stars for the night...

No comments:

Post a Comment