Monday, September 28, 2015

Broad Street Run 10 Miler 2015 Recap

I can't believe it's almost October and I still haven't written this recap! This was one of my favorite races (injury and all) and I hope I can remember enough to recap it properly. My husband and I decided to run/walk this one together since neither of us were in competition mode and we figured it would be more fun to suffer together.


We got into Philly on Friday and had the WORST time trying to find parking. We drove around for half an hour before I finally told my husband to stop and let me out so I could walk to the expo and get our packets before it closed. I got our stuff with plenty of time to spare thanks to the wonderfully organized expo and I snagged myself a big, comfy sweatshirt as well. After another half an hour, my husband finally texted me that he found a place to park and we met up for margaritas with my friend Jess.

My favorite view !

The race morning was a breeze. We woke up, walked to Broad Street to catch the free train to the start line, and waited for the race to start. The only negative thing I have to say about the race at all was that we waited FOREVER to start and we were no where near the back of the pack. But I suppose with 40,000 runners that's to be expected.


We tried to stick with 1:1 intervals, but it was hard to keep track of my watch beeping when there was so much noise and energy on the course. I had such a blast even though I couldn't run the whole thing. There were people everywhere on the course and so much support, it was insane! Towards the end, the crowds were actually so heavy that they were closing in on the course, which honestly made me hot and claustrophobic. Some fences or better crowd control would have been greatly appreciated.


We wound up finishing together with a time of 2:04:50, which ends up being an average pace of 12:28/mi. All things considered, I was pretty pleased with that. The medals are awesome and we thoroughly enjoyed being a part of the largest 10 miler in the country! Here's hoping we make it through the lottery next year because I would love to actually run this!

No comments:

Post a Comment